Welcome!

My daughter, Jazlyn, is anaphylactic to egg, dairy, peanuts, and tree nuts. When she was first diagnosed, I found it very difficult to find recipes and foods that didn't taste like "allergy" food. Over the last 15 years I have had a lot of fun developing and changing recipes so that they are safe for her. I love to share my recipes so that other families can realize how yummy "allergy" foods can taste. You don't have to sacrifice taste or your favorite foods, you just have to rethink how to make them. I made a promise to Jazzy that I would do my very best to find a way for her to eat any food she wants to try. So far I have been able to keep that promise. I hope your family enjoys these recipes as much as we do.
















Saturday, March 20, 2010

Egg Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free All-Time Favorite Chocolate Cake

This is the only cake recipe we use for our birthday cakes. The taste is delicious and it is a very easy cake to cut and use to make beautiful cakes. This recipe also make perfect mini cupcakes. We like them plain with safe chocolate chips stirred in and also frosted with sprinkles.


 
 

All-Time Favorite Chocolate Cake

1 1/2 cup flour
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
5 tbsp oil
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup cold water

Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, sugar and salt . Make 3 grooves in dry mix. Pour oil in one groove,
vinegar in another and vanilla in the last one. Pour the cold water over everything. Beat with a spoon until nearly smooth and the flour disappears. Pour the batter into a sprayed 9" square baking pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
* A single batch makes one 9" square cake or one round cake. A single batch also will make 12 cupcakes. A double recipe is perfect for a 9x13 cake. You may need to vary the baking time based on the pan you use. For example, my cupcakes bake in 20 minutes.
* This cake freezes really well. I just wrap it individually and then defrost in microwave or on the counter if frosted.
* We also love stir safe chocolate chips into the batter then spoon the batter into lined mini muffin cups and bake for 10 minutes. It should make about 48-60 mini cupcakes. These are also great without the chocolate chips.

5 comments:

  1. Hi and thank you for such an informative blog. I am baking a birthday cake where the birthday girl cannot eat eggs, dairy or nuts. I will definitely attempt this cake, it looks and sounds delicious (and the theme is butterfly so will copy your idea above! thanks!). I just wanted to clarify, when you say oil, what type of oil do you mean?
    With kind regards
    Kristin Simmons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin - I just use canola oil, but any safe oil would be fine. You won't be disappointed with this cake, it's moist, chocolately and perfect. Let me know how the birthday girl liked her cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was beautiful. Thank you. Everyone loved the cake, grown ups as well as little ones. What is weird and wonderful is that our little girl who is allergic is also called Jazzy (Jasmine). Meant to be! Thanks again, K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristin - I'm so glad everyone enjoyed their cake and that your Jazzy could eat it too. We just had this cake yesterday for my middle daughter's 9th birthday. My mom made Patrick from Spongebob Square Pants. She says it's the only cake to use for cut-out cakes because it works so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete