Welcome!

My daughter, Jazlyn, is anaphylactic to egg, dairy, peanuts, and tree nuts. When she was first diagnosed, I found it very difficult to find recipes and foods that didn't taste like "allergy" food. Over the last 15 years I have had a lot of fun developing and changing recipes so that they are safe for her. I love to share my recipes so that other families can realize how yummy "allergy" foods can taste. You don't have to sacrifice taste or your favorite foods, you just have to rethink how to make them. I made a promise to Jazzy that I would do my very best to find a way for her to eat any food she wants to try. So far I have been able to keep that promise. I hope your family enjoys these recipes as much as we do.
















Friday, April 2, 2010

Oat Flour Tortillas

Before Jazzy outgrew her wheat allergy, these tortillas were a staple in our house. Since I couldn't find a bread that was safe and tasted good, Jazzy used them in place of bread. I would make a batch then freeze them between sheets of wax paper. Whenever she wanted a piece of bread, I would just pop one in the microwave until heated through. Just be aware that once the tortillas are reheated they harden fairly quickly so make them right before you are ready to eat them. We still make them whenever we are craving healthy yummy tortillas.



Oat Flour Tortillas

2 cups oat flour (oats can be blended to create the flour)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 – 3/4 cup cold water

Combine the oat flour and salt. Slowly add the water, mixing with a fork to moisten the dough evenly. The dough should be able to be gathered into a ball. If the dough is too dry, just add a little extra water. Place the dough on a flat surface and knead well. Separate the dough into 8 sections. Flour the palms of your hands then shape each of the sections into 3" rounds. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Roll each of the rounds into a flat 7-8” circle. Place the tortilla in a hot frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes, turn then cook the other side for 1-2 minutes. Remove the tortilla to a plate and cover with a dish towel to keep warm. These tortillas can be kept in the fridge for a week or they can be frozen between sheets of wax paper then reheated in the microwave or in a skillet.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I've been making this tortillas for a while now and I LOVE them! However, if I put them in fridge, they become tough and impossible to bend. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like them. These were a staple in our house before Jazlyn outgrew her wheat allergy. I always kept them in the freezer between sheets of wax paper. Then I microwaved them briefly when Jazlyn was ready to eat one.

    ReplyDelete