Welcome!

My daughter, Jazlyn, is anaphylactic to egg, dairy, peanuts, and tree nuts. When she was first diagnosed, I found it very difficult to find recipes and foods that didn't taste like "allergy" food. Over the last 15 years I have had a lot of fun developing and changing recipes so that they are safe for her. I love to share my recipes so that other families can realize how yummy "allergy" foods can taste. You don't have to sacrifice taste or your favorite foods, you just have to rethink how to make them. I made a promise to Jazzy that I would do my very best to find a way for her to eat any food she wants to try. So far I have been able to keep that promise. I hope your family enjoys these recipes as much as we do.
















Monday, June 7, 2010

Egg Free, Dairy Free Family Favorite Waffles and Pancakes

These waffles and pancakes are fluffy and perfect. We love these reheated from the freezer for a quick breakfast. These waffles also work great topped with ice cream, creamed sausage, etc.


 

Family Favorite Waffles and Pancakes

2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups water

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add the oil and vanilla and mix well. Add the water and mix until thoroughly combined.

For the waffles, pour 1 cup of batter onto the preheated waffle iron that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray before each waffle. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden and cooked through.

For the pancakes, pour the batter onto a hot skillet or griddle that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray before each addition. Cook until bubbly, turn and cook the other side until golden.

*  I always quadruple this recipe so that we have plenty to freeze. I place the cooled pancakes and waffles on a baking sheet and place it in the freezer. When frozen, I place them in a large Ziploc bag. They reheat wonderfully in the microwave.
*  Chocolate chips, coconut, blueberries, diced or mashed strawberries, diced or mashed bananas, diced apples or anything else you desire can be added to this batter. You can also add any of your additions to the individual pancakes or waffles so that everyone can have what they like. Personally, my family prefers them plain and then topped or dipped.
*  Pancake syrup, chocolate syrup, applesauce, crushed strawberries, sliced bananas, confectioners sugar, ice cream, etc. all make great toppings or dips for the pancakes and waffles.

11 comments:

  1. I was looking for an egg and dairy free recipe for waffles because several family members have allergies, and I came across this one. After trying it out I am thrilled to say I absolutely love it! The waffles were amazing and everyone enjoyed them! Thank you so much for sharing it :D I'm definitely going to keep it on hand for the next time I'm making waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I'm going to try this. I was so proud of myself because i used Krusteaz mix to make muffins for my grandson who is an egg, nut allergic child. They turned out beautifuly, didn't taste like a pancake or waffle actually tasted like a cake. Turns out they use equipment that they process egg and tree nut products on. oh well. I will let you know how I make out with this recipe. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this recipe! I have such a hard time finding recipes that I only have to make one batch of. (My kids have conflicting food allergies.) Your waffles were a big hit this morning! My oldest doesn't like waffles and he dug in and ate several.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gave these a shot and the batter was about the consistency of milk. Did I do something wrong? I'll give it another shot but I was just checking. They tasted fine but it just wasn't the consistency I'm used to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The batter isn't very thick, but it shouldn't be that thin. It is pourable, but not too runny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried it, it is yummy! I am just puzzled, without microwave, any other method i can use to defrost the waffle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could use a toaster oven if you have one. You may be able to bake them a few minutes in the oven but I've never tried it.

      Delete
    2. I pop mine in the toaster. Makes them a little more crispy but it works just fine.

      Delete
  7. My young granddaughter is dairy, gluten, and egg free. I am going to try this recipe but I want to substitute almond milk for the water. That will work, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice Post Thanks for sharing this information

    ReplyDelete
  9. After some horrific disasters over the last couple of months trying other recipes, I have finally made a batch of edible egg free, gluten free, sugar free, dairy free mostly organic waffles. All thanks to this amazing but simple recipe!!

    I have an intolerance for gluten, dairy, eggs and processed foods. So I did my best to substitute some of the ingredients. I substituted the flour with organic self raising flour; I substituted sugar with organic coconut sugar; I substituted baking powder with gluten free baking powder. Still came out really well. Thank you so much Lori.

    ReplyDelete