Welcome!

My daughter, Jazlyn, is anaphylactic to egg, dairy, peanuts, and tree nuts. When she was first diagnosed, I found it very difficult to find recipes and foods that didn't taste like "allergy" food. Over the last 15 years I have had a lot of fun developing and changing recipes so that they are safe for her. I love to share my recipes so that other families can realize how yummy "allergy" foods can taste. You don't have to sacrifice taste or your favorite foods, you just have to rethink how to make them. I made a promise to Jazzy that I would do my very best to find a way for her to eat any food she wants to try. So far I have been able to keep that promise. I hope your family enjoys these recipes as much as we do.
















Monday, March 15, 2010

Egg Free, Dairy Free Croutons / Bread Crumbs

We love croutons in our soups, on our salads and just as a snack. I use the bread crumbs in everything from meatloaf to a breading for chicken. I usually make a big batch of croutons, 2-3 loaves of bread, and keep 1/2 of them as croutons and the other 1/2 I turn in to bread crumbs.


Croutons / Bread Crumbs

Line a baking sheet with foil. Break safe bread into cubes and place them on the sheet. Spray the cubes with a safe cooking spray (I use pam), then sprinkle on any seasonings desired. Place in the oven at 275 until they are crisp the whole way though (mine take about 30 minutes, but it is very thin white bread. I've made them with thicker wheat breads or grain breads and they take longer).

To turn the croutons into bread crumbs, place the croutons into a Ziploc bag and roll over them with a rolling pin or bang the bag with the rolling pin.

The croutons and bread crumbs will store for a long time in an airtight container as long as they are cooked the whole way though and completely crunchy.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, was that easy! My daughter (4) is allergic to dairy and egg and my son (7) to nuts. My daughter has never had a crouton before... she now eats these as a snack like they were candy! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patti - My dad asks me to make them for him and he eats them as a snack too. We love them in our soup. They also make great bread crumbs that I use as a chicken coating, topping for casseroles, in meatloaf, etc.

    ReplyDelete