Welcome!

My daughter, Jazlyn, is anaphylactic to egg, dairy, peanuts, and tree nuts. When she was first diagnosed, I found it very difficult to find recipes and foods that didn't taste like "allergy" food. Over the last 15 years I have had a lot of fun developing and changing recipes so that they are safe for her. I love to share my recipes so that other families can realize how yummy "allergy" foods can taste. You don't have to sacrifice taste or your favorite foods, you just have to rethink how to make them. I made a promise to Jazzy that I would do my very best to find a way for her to eat any food she wants to try. So far I have been able to keep that promise. I hope your family enjoys these recipes as much as we do.
















Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Egg Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free Baked Caramel Corn

This is our favorite popcorn recipe. My mom and dad ask me to make it for them frequently. The flavor is so much better than the store bought version.



Baked Caramel Corn

24 cups popped popcorn
1 cup dairy-free margarine (I use Fleishmanns Unsalted Sticks)
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla extract

Divide the popcorn evenly between 2 parchment paper lined baking sheets. In a medium saucepan, melt the margarine, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Heat the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the baking soda and vanilla extract. Divide the mixture evenly over both of the baking sheets. Stir to coat the popcorn. Bake at 250 for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. I also switch the racks that the sheets are on so they bake more evenly.  Cool completely. Break apart and store in a tightly covered container or Ziploc bags.
* I use an air popper for the popcorn, but you can also use the stove top method. In my air popper, 1 full measuring cup of the popper makes 12 cups of the popped popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment