Welcome!

My daughter, Jazlyn, is anaphylactic to egg, dairy, peanuts, and tree nuts. When she was first diagnosed, I found it very difficult to find recipes and foods that didn't taste like "allergy" food. Over the last 15 years I have had a lot of fun developing and changing recipes so that they are safe for her. I love to share my recipes so that other families can realize how yummy "allergy" foods can taste. You don't have to sacrifice taste or your favorite foods, you just have to rethink how to make them. I made a promise to Jazzy that I would do my very best to find a way for her to eat any food she wants to try. So far I have been able to keep that promise. I hope your family enjoys these recipes as much as we do.
















Friday, March 12, 2010

Egg Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free Family Favorite Granola Bars

These granola bars are our favorite. We make them all of the time for breakfast, snacks and to take when we go away.




Family Favorite Granola Bars

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup Sunbutter
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup dairy-free margarine, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup Rice Krispies
1/4 cup sunflower seed kernels
1/4 cup raisins
3 tbsp wheat germ, optional
1/2 cup safe chocolate chips

Thoroughly combine the brown sugar, sunflower seed butter, corn syrup, melted margarine and vanilla. Stir in the oats, Rice Krispies, sunflower seed kernels, raisins and wheat germ. Fold in the chocolate chips. Press the mixture into an 8x8 glass baking pan that has been coated with a safe cooking spray (I use Pam). Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until the edges are browned. The bars will not be completely set, but they will set completely as they cool. Allow the bars to cool to room temperature before cutting them into squares. Store at room temperature covered tightly or wrap the individual bars in aluminum foil.
* This recipe works great doubled and placed in an 11x15 baking pan.
* Feel free to substitute the sunflower seed kernels, raisins or chocolate chips to make it safe for your allergens or just to suit your taste. You can also omit the crispy rice cereal and add an additonal 1/2 cup of the quick cooking oats. We prefer to use the cereal because of the crunch that it adds. You can also substitute soynut butter for the Sunbutter. This recipe is very forgiving and versatile.

2 comments:

  1. So you have not had a problem with the malt flavoring in the Rice Krispies? I've been scared to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camille,

    Jazzy has never had a problem. Because of the labeling laws, the top 8 allergens must be clearly listed in plain language in the ingredients or under the ingredients in a contains statement. If I ever have a concern, I call the company to make sure.

    Also, these granola bars are very forgiving. You can add more oats in place of the Rice Krispies. I just use the Rice Krispies to give the bars crunch.

    ReplyDelete