Welcome!

My daughter, Jazlyn, is anaphylactic to egg, dairy, peanuts, and tree nuts. When she was first diagnosed, I found it very difficult to find recipes and foods that didn't taste like "allergy" food. Over the last 15 years I have had a lot of fun developing and changing recipes so that they are safe for her. I love to share my recipes so that other families can realize how yummy "allergy" foods can taste. You don't have to sacrifice taste or your favorite foods, you just have to rethink how to make them. I made a promise to Jazzy that I would do my very best to find a way for her to eat any food she wants to try. So far I have been able to keep that promise. I hope your family enjoys these recipes as much as we do.
















Sunday, January 23, 2011

Egg Free, Dairy Free Beef and Peas with Potato Biscuits

My middle daughter, Tayana, loves dumplings and this time I wanted to try something a little different. The result is a simple to put together meal with really yummy biscuits. The potato biscuits were the highlight of the meal for the girls. The top picture shows the biscuits rolled into a ball and flattened slightly and the bottom picture shows the biscuits just dropped by spoonfuls. Either way they are great, but the rolled biscuits make a nicer presentation.



Beef and Peas with Potato Biscuits

2 lbs ground beef
1 can peas or any vegetables desired
1 can beef gravy
2 1/2 cups soy milk, divided use
2 cup Bisquick baking mix
2 cup instant mashed potato flakes (I use Betty Crocker Potato Buds)

Cook the ground beef in a skillet until browned. Drain the grease then add the peas, gravy and 1/2 cup of the soy milk. Bring the mixture to a boil then pour it in a 9x13 baking dish. Warm the remaining 2 cups of soy milk in the microwave. Add the Bisquick and potato flakes then mix thoroughly. Allow the dough to rest for 2 minutes before rolling into balls, flattening slightly then placing on the ground beef mixture. If desired, you can drop the dough by spoonfuls on to the hot beef mixture instead of rolling it. Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes or until the biscuits are cooked through and lightly browned.
*  To prepare this meal faster, microwave precooked ground beef (I always keep some in the freezer), peas, gravy and 1/2 cup soy milk for 3 minutes or until hot. Then follow the rest of the instructions as listed.

1 comment: