Welcome!

My daughter, Jazlyn, is anaphylactic to egg, dairy, peanuts, and tree nuts. When she was first diagnosed, I found it very difficult to find recipes and foods that didn't taste like "allergy" food. Over the last 15 years I have had a lot of fun developing and changing recipes so that they are safe for her. I love to share my recipes so that other families can realize how yummy "allergy" foods can taste. You don't have to sacrifice taste or your favorite foods, you just have to rethink how to make them. I made a promise to Jazzy that I would do my very best to find a way for her to eat any food she wants to try. So far I have been able to keep that promise. I hope your family enjoys these recipes as much as we do.
















Monday, August 23, 2010

Egg Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free Mexican Churros

In my house, anything with cinnamon is popular. This fried dough coated with a cinnamon sugar coating is a nice treat. I like to make them when I already have oil heated from frying something else.


Mexican Churros

2 1/2 cups hot water
3 cups Bisquick baking mix
1 cup cinnamon sugar

Fill a deep frying pan 1 1/2" deep with oil. Place over medium high heat. Combine the water and Bisquick, stirring until the mixture becomes spongy. Roll the dough in your hands to form strips. Drop a few strips at a time in the hot oil, being careful not to crowd them. Cook until golden brown all over and the center is cooked through. Remove from the pan with hot dog tongs and place on paper towels for a few seconds to drain. Roll in the cinnamon sugar to coat.
*  Leftovers will stay a day or two in a Ziploc bag but they taste better fresh.

2 comments:

  1. How many churros will this make? I'm going to make some for my Spanish class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends on the size you make them. I think my batch made around 15. I hope your class enjoys them, I know my girls did.

    ReplyDelete