Welcome!

My daughter, Jazlyn, is anaphylactic to egg, dairy, peanuts, and tree nuts. When she was first diagnosed, I found it very difficult to find recipes and foods that didn't taste like "allergy" food. Over the last 15 years I have had a lot of fun developing and changing recipes so that they are safe for her. I love to share my recipes so that other families can realize how yummy "allergy" foods can taste. You don't have to sacrifice taste or your favorite foods, you just have to rethink how to make them. I made a promise to Jazzy that I would do my very best to find a way for her to eat any food she wants to try. So far I have been able to keep that promise. I hope your family enjoys these recipes as much as we do.
















Friday, August 27, 2010

Egg Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free Coffee Cake

I wanted to make a coffee cake as a surprise dessert for my dad. I was very happy how this turned out. The cake was very moist and delicious.

Coffee Cake

2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups brown sugar, divided use
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon, divided use
1 cup soy milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 tbsp dairy free margarine, melted

Combine the flour, 3/4 cup of the brown sugar, baking powder and 1 tsp of the cinnamon. In a separate bowl, combine the soy milk, oil and applesauce. Add the flour mixture to the soy milk mixture and stir until just combined. Transfer the batter to a sprayed 8x8 baking dish. In a separate bowl, use a fork to thoroughly combine the melted margarine, remaining 1/2 cup of brown sugar and remaining 1 tsp of cinnamon. Sprinkle the brown sugar crumbs evenly over the cake. Bake at 400 for 33-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
*  You can use additional cinnamon in the cake mixture if you would like a stronger flavor. We liked just a hint of cinnamon.
*  You can double the brown sugar crumb mixture if you would like a thicker topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment