Welcome!

My daughter, Jazlyn, is anaphylactic to egg, dairy, peanuts, and tree nuts. When she was first diagnosed, I found it very difficult to find recipes and foods that didn't taste like "allergy" food. Over the last 15 years I have had a lot of fun developing and changing recipes so that they are safe for her. I love to share my recipes so that other families can realize how yummy "allergy" foods can taste. You don't have to sacrifice taste or your favorite foods, you just have to rethink how to make them. I made a promise to Jazzy that I would do my very best to find a way for her to eat any food she wants to try. So far I have been able to keep that promise. I hope your family enjoys these recipes as much as we do.
















Monday, October 18, 2010

Egg Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie

We were at the mall the other day and Jazlyn saw the "celebration" giant chocolate chip cookies. She really like them and wanted to have one for her birthday party. I told her that we would try to make a practice one first and see how it turned out. The result is a moist, yummy, really fun cookie. Jazlyn was so happy and is excited to decorate one for her birthday party. Here are pictures of our "test cookie".

The bottom picture is the cookie cake that we made for Maleah's 6th birthday party.




Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie

1 cup dairy free margarine
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups safe chocolate chips

Use an electric mixer to cream the margarine, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Add the applesauce then beat again. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the margarine mixture then beat until thoroughly combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Spread the dough evenly into a sprayed 15” round pizza pan, leaving a 1 1/2" border between the dough and pan to allow room for the cookie to expand. Bake at 375 for 23-27 minutes. Cool in the pan. Decorate as desired.
* You can also bake this cookie in two 9” pie pans for 17-19 minutes.
* Cover the rack of the stove with foil first if you are worried about the cookie spilling over. I did this preventatively, but my cookie did not spill over the rim of the pan.

3 comments:

  1. My kids would LOVE this (except they'd probably want one EACH!!) haha Great recipe, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can I replace dairy free butter since my daughter is allergic to soy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Use equal amounts of any of the following to replace the margarine. Please read labels to make sure they are safe for your daughter.

    * Unsweetened applesauce
    * Oils such as Canola or Olive
    * Earth Balance Buttery Spread (in the red
    tub - others contain soy)
    * Earth Balance Coconut Spread
    * Coconut oil is hard at room temperature
    * Spectrum Shortening

    Please let me know if you find something that works for you.

    ReplyDelete