Welcome!

My daughter, Jazlyn, is anaphylactic to egg, dairy, peanuts, and tree nuts. When she was first diagnosed, I found it very difficult to find recipes and foods that didn't taste like "allergy" food. Over the last 15 years I have had a lot of fun developing and changing recipes so that they are safe for her. I love to share my recipes so that other families can realize how yummy "allergy" foods can taste. You don't have to sacrifice taste or your favorite foods, you just have to rethink how to make them. I made a promise to Jazzy that I would do my very best to find a way for her to eat any food she wants to try. So far I have been able to keep that promise. I hope your family enjoys these recipes as much as we do.
















Sunday, May 13, 2012

Egg Free, Dairy Free Chicken Croquettes

I loved chicken croquettes when I was growing up. I came up with this recipe a few years ago so Jazlyn could have them too. However, this time I ground the chicken with the gravy. The result was a taste and texture that was exactly how I remembered them.


Chicken Croquettes

4 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken or turkey
1 can gravy (I used turkey gravy)
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used this recipe for our homemade bread crumbs), plus extra for rolling
1/3 cup dairy free margarine

Place the chicken and gravy in a blender then blend until finely ground, adding a little extra gravy, soy milk or broth if needed. Combine the chicken and gravy mixture with the bread crumbs until thoroughly combined, using extra bread crumbs as needed for the mixture to hold together. Shape into croquettes then roll in additional bread crumbs to thoroughly coat. If the mixture is too difficult to shape, chill it in the fridge or freezer for a little. Melt the margarine in a large skillet. Add the croquettes then cook and turn until browned on all sides.
*  If desired, you can keep the chicken shredded or finely diced instead of grinding it in the blender.

Shared with Savory Sunday, Scrumptious Sunday, Church Supper, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Mix it up Monday, Mangia Mondays, Makin' You Crave Monday, What Makes You Say mmmmm Monday, Hunk of Meat Monday, Made from Scratch Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesdays, Trick or Treat Tuesday, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tuesdays at the TableTuesday Talent Show, Allergy Free Wednesday, Gluten Free Wednesday, Share the Wealth Wednesday, This Chick Cooks, What's Cooking Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday, It's a Keeper Thursday, Tastetastic Thursday, Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love, Fabulous Friday, Food on Fridays, Foodie Friday, Weekend Potluck, Fit and Fabulous Fridays, Check Me Out Saturday, Seasonal Inspiration and Sweet Saturday.

7 comments:

  1. What an interesting twist on chicken, or turkey. This is a recipe that I haven't heard of before. I'm wondering if I could substitute ground Rice chex for the bread crumbs? I know that there is gluten free bread crumbs available, but I would have to buy on line because I have not seen them in our stores around here. Hmmmm...may have to try it with the cereal and see how it turns out ☺ Thank you for sharing on 'Made From Scratch' Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking it should work. I'm also wondering if you could use ground gluten free oats. You just need something to make the chicken and gravy thicker so it will hold together and be able to be shaped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recall something like this from my youth. It looks like such a comfort food recipe. Please share this on my foodie friday party today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, doesn't that sound interesting! I love the creative problem-solving that has led you to this tasty treat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You come up with some wonderful substitutions! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recipe! My kids will certainly enjoy this one! Thank you for sharing on Fit and Fabulous Fridays!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your site while looking for egg-free recipes. Love it!
    I used to love croquettes. Ours had rice in them. I thought it would be too hard to recreate with out the egg. Now you got me thinking...
    Thank you for all your creativity, and taking the time to post all these yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete