Welcome!

My daughter, Jazlyn, is anaphylactic to egg, dairy, peanuts, and tree nuts. When she was first diagnosed, I found it very difficult to find recipes and foods that didn't taste like "allergy" food. Over the last 15 years I have had a lot of fun developing and changing recipes so that they are safe for her. I love to share my recipes so that other families can realize how yummy "allergy" foods can taste. You don't have to sacrifice taste or your favorite foods, you just have to rethink how to make them. I made a promise to Jazzy that I would do my very best to find a way for her to eat any food she wants to try. So far I have been able to keep that promise. I hope your family enjoys these recipes as much as we do.
















Monday, August 5, 2013

Egg Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free Red Velvet Cupcakes

Tayana wanted to bake something new for her alone time with me. We decided to try and make Red Velvet Cupcakes. They are now our whole family's favorite cupcake and an absolute must-try. My mom loves Red Velvet and asked immediately for the recipe so she can make them for the next Bible study she has at her house.

These cupcakes are absolutely amazing! They are moist and fluffy and perfectly flavored. If you've never had Red Velvet before, the taste is somewhere between vanilla and chocolate. We made a double batch and got 30 cupcakes. I always make a double batch when we bake because I like to keep extra in the freezer.




Red Velvet Cupcakes 

1 1/4 cups flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup soy milk mixed with 1 tbsp vinegar, allow to set for 5 minutes to thicken
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup dairy free margarine, melted
1 tbsp corn syrup or honey
1/2 tbsp red food coloring
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the soy milk-vinegar mixture, sugar, melted margarine, corn syrup, red food coloring and vanilla. Add the flour mixture to the soy milk mixture then mix until thoroughly combined. Fill lined muffin cups 2/3 full with the batter. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

5 comments:

  1. Would love to try this recipe for my daughter who also has allergies to eggs, milk and peanuts. do you know if almond milk can substitute the soy milk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cupcakes are amazing and I would highly recommend trying them. I've never used almond milk because Jazlyn also has a tree nut allergy. I did a quick Bing search and it said that almond milk and soy milk can be used in equal portions to replace the dairy milk. I'd say go ahead and try it, I'm sure it will turn out perfectly yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try making them next week. I'm sure it Will be a hit! Ill let you know

      Delete
  3. Can I use rice milk in place of the soy milk?

    I only have rice milk at my house, and my friend (that has dairy allergies) that I'm baking for can't have soy due to his own younger brother having soy allergies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can use rice milk in place of soy milk. Before Jazlyn outgrew her soy allergy that is what I used. The only recipes I noticed a big difference between the two is in puddings and other recipes when the thickness of the milk plays a factor.

      Delete