Welcome!

My daughter, Jazlyn, is anaphylactic to egg, dairy, peanuts, and tree nuts. When she was first diagnosed, I found it very difficult to find recipes and foods that didn't taste like "allergy" food. Over the last 15 years I have had a lot of fun developing and changing recipes so that they are safe for her. I love to share my recipes so that other families can realize how yummy "allergy" foods can taste. You don't have to sacrifice taste or your favorite foods, you just have to rethink how to make them. I made a promise to Jazzy that I would do my very best to find a way for her to eat any food she wants to try. So far I have been able to keep that promise. I hope your family enjoys these recipes as much as we do.
















Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Egg Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free Sunbutter Cups

Before Jazlyn's allergies, I loved Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. I still love the combination of Sunbutter and chocolate. Usually when I get a peanut butter cup craving, I make Sunbutter Squares or Chocolate Covered Sunbutter Eggs. This time I decided to try and make the candy actually look like a peanut butter cup. I started with a layer of chocolate, placed a Sunny Button on top then spooned chocolate over them. They were a little more time consuming that the other 2 recipes, but they looked really good and tasted even better.



Sunbutter Cups

5 cups safe chocolate chips, divided use
5 Tbsp shortening, divided use
1 cup Sunbutter
1/2 cup dairy free margarine
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar

Microwave 2 cups of the chocolate chips with 2 tbsp of the shortening until melted and smooth. Place 72 paper mini muffin cup liners on baking sheets. Spoon the melted chocolate into the bottom of the muffin liners. Refrigerate the baking sheets for 30 minutes or until the chocolate is hardened. 

While the chocolate is hardening, place the Sunbutter, margarine and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to bubble. Remove the saucepan from the heat then stir in the confectioner’s sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, until thoroughly combined and smooth. Roll 1/2 tablespoon of the mixture into balls then flatten slightly into disks. Place the disks on a wax paper lined baking sheet. You want to make sure you have 72 Sunbutter disks. Remove the muffin liners from the fridge then place a Sunbutter disk on the top of each chocolate lined muffin cup.

In a separate bowl, microwave 3 cups of the chocolate chips with 3 tbsp of the shortening until melted and smooth. Spoon the melted chocolate on top and around the Sunbutter disk to cover it completely.

Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until the chocolate is hardened. Remove the paper liners then store the Sunbutter cups in the fridge or freezer.

Shared with Meatless Mondays, Made from Scratch Monday, Melt in Your Mouth MondayJust Another Meatless Monday, Tasty TuesdaysSlightly Indulgent Tuesday, Allergy Free WednesdayGluten Free Wednesdays, Frugal Food ThursdayIt's a Keeper ThursdaySweet Temptations, Full Plate Thursday and Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love.

7 comments:

  1. I could go for one of these right now! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! One of these would go really well with my coffee this morning :) Thanks for leaving your link at 'Made From Scratch' Monday.
    Little story to share...my daughter is also allergic to peanuts. This past Christmas, we had visitors from out of town. I made Peanut butter kiss cookies with Sunbutter. One of our visitors had a really bad reaction after eating one. No one could figure out why he had reacted. Came to find out he is allergic to sunflower! Now, that is an allergy that I have never heard of. It was a pretty crazy experience in our house that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing the allergies you find once you enter the allergy world. Jazlyn grew out of her allergies to bananas, apples, beef and a bunch of other allergies I've never heard of. In one of my allergy groups, there is a child that is anaphylactic to yellow food dye and one of the mom's that is anaphylactic to cinnamon. I guess it just goes to show you can be allergic to anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lori,
    Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great Spring week end and come back to see me real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like fun to eat.....something, I would love.
    Thanks for sharing this. It will be featured, this week, at My Meatless Mondays.
    http://sweetsav.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing at Allergy-Free Wednesday. Hope you'll join us again this week with another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could live on these! What a great way to get rid of the peanuts.

    ReplyDelete