Welcome!

My daughter, Jazlyn, is anaphylactic to egg, dairy, peanuts, and tree nuts. When she was first diagnosed, I found it very difficult to find recipes and foods that didn't taste like "allergy" food. Over the last 15 years I have had a lot of fun developing and changing recipes so that they are safe for her. I love to share my recipes so that other families can realize how yummy "allergy" foods can taste. You don't have to sacrifice taste or your favorite foods, you just have to rethink how to make them. I made a promise to Jazzy that I would do my very best to find a way for her to eat any food she wants to try. So far I have been able to keep that promise. I hope your family enjoys these recipes as much as we do.
















Wednesday, April 7, 2010

High School Soup

I call this High School Soup because I came up with this recipe for a project in home ec class. We have been making it ever since. This soup is easily changed to suit your taste. The top picture is how everyone loves it. The bottom picture is how I make it for me because I love broccoli and cauliflower.

High School Soup

8 cups beef or chicken broth
1 cup instant white rice, uncooked
1 box small noodles, uncooked (Ditalini, Orzo, ABC, etc.)
1 lb cooked meat (ground beef, ground turkey, chicken, etc.)
Vegetables desired -
        (The top picture is 1 can of creamed corn and 1 can of whole kernel corn.)
          (The bottom picture is 3 cups of thawed broccoli and cauliflower.)

In a large soup pot, bring the broth to a boil. Add the rice and noodles and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add the meat and vegetables then simmer until heated through. The longer the soup simmers, the better the taste becomes. Top with croutons and crumbled bacon if desired.
*  I freeze this soup in individual containers and then reheat it in the microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment