Welcome!

My daughter, Jazlyn, is anaphylactic to egg, dairy, peanuts, and tree nuts. When she was first diagnosed, I found it very difficult to find recipes and foods that didn't taste like "allergy" food. Over the last 15 years I have had a lot of fun developing and changing recipes so that they are safe for her. I love to share my recipes so that other families can realize how yummy "allergy" foods can taste. You don't have to sacrifice taste or your favorite foods, you just have to rethink how to make them. I made a promise to Jazzy that I would do my very best to find a way for her to eat any food she wants to try. So far I have been able to keep that promise. I hope your family enjoys these recipes as much as we do.
















Monday, December 16, 2013

Egg Free, Dairy Free Sweet Cornbread

We love our Simple Sweet Cornbread and our Sweet Corn Cake. I wanted to make cornbread to go with our supper and I was out of the Jiffy Cornbread Mix, which is an ingredient in both recipes. This new Sweet Cornbread recipe is still easy to make and very good. It is more of a traditional cornbread that is fluffy and drier than my other two recipes, which is not at all a bad thing depending what texture you want and what you are using the cornbread for. This cornbread was perfect with the chowder I made. The girls liked their cornbread topped with dairy free margarine. I didn't find a need to put it on because I was dipping it in my chowder. This cornbread reminds me of the cornbread my mom used to make with her Chili when I was growing up.




Sweet Cornbread

2 1/2 cups cornmeal
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups soy milk
1/4 cup dairy free margarine, melted
1/4 cup water

Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the soy milk, margarine, and water then mix until thoroughly combined. Pour the mixture evenly into a sprayed 9x13 baking dish. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
*  You can substitute the 9x13 baking dish for two 8x8 baking dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment