Welcome!

My daughter, Jazlyn, is anaphylactic to egg, dairy, peanuts, and tree nuts. When she was first diagnosed, I found it very difficult to find recipes and foods that didn't taste like "allergy" food. Over the last 15 years I have had a lot of fun developing and changing recipes so that they are safe for her. I love to share my recipes so that other families can realize how yummy "allergy" foods can taste. You don't have to sacrifice taste or your favorite foods, you just have to rethink how to make them. I made a promise to Jazzy that I would do my very best to find a way for her to eat any food she wants to try. So far I have been able to keep that promise. I hope your family enjoys these recipes as much as we do.
















Thursday, October 24, 2013

Egg Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free Matzo Toffee Candy

I got a huge box of Matzo crackers from the grocery store for free with a coupon. Now I've been trying to come up with uses for them besides as crackers, in soup, covered with Sunbutter, etc. I made this delicious toffee candy and the girls loved it. I definitely won't be making it too often because it is far from healthy, but the girls thought it was great.





Matzo Toffee Candy
10 Matzo crackers, more or less as needed (Saltine crackers can also be used)
1 cup dairy free margarine
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups safe chocolate chips

Place the Matzo crackers in a single layer on 2 foil lined baking sheets, breaking them to fill the sheets completely. Place the margarine and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes or until the mixture is thick and smooth. Pour the mixture over the crackers and spread it evenly over top. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over top then bake 1 minute to melt. Spread the chocolate evenly over top. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set. Break into pieces then store tightly covered in the fridge. The candy can also be frozen.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMM, that looks delicious. I am a huge fan of toffee candy. I have been thinking about baking something tasty lately. I am not the greatest baker but this seems easy enough. Thanks for sharing, Ill let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete