Welcome!

My daughter, Jazlyn, is anaphylactic to egg, dairy, peanuts, and tree nuts. When she was first diagnosed, I found it very difficult to find recipes and foods that didn't taste like "allergy" food. Over the last 15 years I have had a lot of fun developing and changing recipes so that they are safe for her. I love to share my recipes so that other families can realize how yummy "allergy" foods can taste. You don't have to sacrifice taste or your favorite foods, you just have to rethink how to make them. I made a promise to Jazzy that I would do my very best to find a way for her to eat any food she wants to try. So far I have been able to keep that promise. I hope your family enjoys these recipes as much as we do.
















Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Chocolate Chip Brownies

My youngest daughter just celebrated her 5th birthday. She will be having a rainbow owl cut out cake, made from my family favorite chocolate cake recipe, for her birthday party so she wanted something different on her birthday. She chose to make these brownies to put her candles in. The great thing about this recipe is that she could make it with just a little help from me since it didn't require an electric mixer. She had so much fun mixing the ingredients and spreading it in the pan. To serve, we put out Pillsbury's spray vanilla and chocolate frosting and several different sprinkles so that the girls could decorate their own. It is a more cake like brownie, but the flavor is amazing. The girls prefer this brownie over the gooey brownie I made a little while back. Personally, I think the frosting had a lot to do with that too. My brownies stuck to the sprayed pan so next time I will prepare them in a sprayed and foil lined pan like I stated for you in the instructions.



Chocolate Chip Brownies


2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup water
1 cup oil
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce or additional water
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup safe chocolate chips

Line a 9x13 baking dish with foil, leaving a 2” overhang at the opposite ends for handles. Spray with a nonstick cooking spray. Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add the water, oil, applesauce and vanilla then mix until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until the top is no longer shiny and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool before cutting into squares.
* If desired, you can omit the chocolate chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment