Chocolate Pancakes and Waffles
2 cups flour
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 cup water
3 tbsp oil
Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add the water and oil and mix until thoroughly combined.
For the waffles, pour 1 cup of batter onto the preheated waffle iron that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray before each waffle. Cook for 3 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
For the pancakes, pour the batter onto a hot skillet or griddle that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray before each addition. Cook until bubbly, turn and cook the other side until golden.
* The pancakes and waffles freeze really well. I place the pancakes and waffles on a baking sheet between layers of wax paper. Once completely frozen, I transfer them to Ziploc bags. We reheat them in the microwave.
* I like to quadruple this recipe so that we have plenty left to freeze. I quadruple all of the ingredients except for I only use 8 cups of the water.
* Safe chocolate chips are wonderful stirred into this pancake batter. However, if I plan on freezing and reheating the pancakes, I only add chocolate chips to the pancakes that we are going to eat right away. I drop the batter onto the skillet, sprinkle on some chocolate chips then top with another layer of batter. They make a nice, thick pancake. For a triple chocolate pancake, top with chocolate syrup.
* We like to stir some chocolate syrup (Hershey's) into the batter for extra chocolate flavor.
* Pancake syrup, chocolate syrup, applesauce, crushed strawberries, sliced bananas, confectioners sugar, ice cream, etc. all make great toppings or dips for the pancakes and waffles.